Friday, January 24, 2014

The Start of Something New (And I Ain't Talking about Highschool Musical)


Friday 17th Jan

So after a 25hour commute to NYC -might I add both flights with NO neighbours/people sitting next to me (winning!) I finally touched down in NYC!   

I pretty much slept through the entire leg to Hawaii which was awesome.  Got to Hawaii and it was legit even hotter than Auckland (even tho its Winter there) and had to walk in my boots and coat to the domestic terminal and nearly died.  Flight to JFK was pretty long as I didn't get much sleep at all.  

Anyways, after touching down at JFK I was greeted to having to pay $5 to use a trolley (how ridics) and after aimless strolling to find a shuttle bus and not succeeding, I ended up catching a taxi.  My taxi driver was some cray driver and kept talking to himself or something.  it was scary xD also im pretty sure he conned me into paying him $6 in tips ( I gave him $5) and he was all like "The cab fair is $58" (when the flier i got said they charge a flat rate of $52 to manhattan).  Morning traffic is pretty much like Akl traffic, took us an hour to get into the city!  So after i paid him his ridiculous fare, he pretty much kicked me to the curb to fend for myself and manoeuvre my suitcases and duffle bag to my cousins house.  Luckily my cousin had only just left for work so he saw me at the Curb and helped me upstairs hahaha.

Rest of the day was pretty uneventful! Had a shower then roamed the streets of New York to set up a bank account and get a phone account sorted!  Im quickly starting to learn that there are lines for pretty much anything (After i started feeling peckish and wanted to grab some lunch from any store and couldnt find any without having to wait).  I ended up having some street food and also realising I had no idea what "white sauce" was that he put on my food haha.  They also use the term scallion instead of spring onion here xD Then I retreated back to my cousins apt, had a nap but had to wake up at 3 to let the dog walker in, then slept the rest of the arvo after the dog walker took the dog away. I think i was also delirious cos I swear i remember the dog walker coming into my room and returning the key to me after he dropped the dog back off hahahahaha.  That night went to Don Antonio which did amaziinnnng Italian Pizza with the cousins and Pinkberry for dessert (FINALLY reunited with my love hhahha) and pretty much called that a night.  

Saturday 18th Jan

Went out to Brooklyn Flea with cuzzies and his friends -Hipsterness galore.  Think vintage stuff but on steroids.  Selling milk bottles u get at the supermarket for 3x the price and also completely random stuff like vintage bandaid tins etc etc.  Hipster stuff hahaha.  Also learnt about my cousins dislike of Brooklyn and hipsters (he thinks that everyone tries way too hard and apparently manhattan ppl are snobby).  The food was pretty good tho! I had some "Asiadog" which was an asian infused hotdog hahaha.  and some macarons xD
Then was forced to hang out with the cuzzies in the arvo cos they knew i wanted to sleep but would not let my jetlag win hahaha.
Went to their mates apt and learnt how to play mahjong with some other friends.
My cousin and friend also tried the 'miracle berry' (that pill that alters ur taste buds so sour things taste sweet etc) and just went ape shit trying vinegar, scotch, sirracha etc.  hilarious to watch, looked like they were high and had the munchies.
Went to this new place that opened up recently that does like taiwanese style cuisine for dinner and my cousin befriended the ppl and got lots of free food hahaha.


Its pretty cold, but nothing as bad as I thought it would be.  Hhahahaha im probably jinxing myself -its meant to get a lot colder in the next few days

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I found your blog XD.. Catherine's adventures of NYC-My new favourite read. The weather looks freezing! But at least now you can wear cute coats & Gumboots! Imagine wearing gumboots back in NZ... oh wait, I'm from Whangarei... people do. But deff not trendy ones. All the shops look amazing, I feel inspired to watch Sex in the City from season 1 all over again. You have to let me know how you find school & deff keep up the blog :) All the best -Lennaa :) xxx

    ReplyDelete